The best coffee I had in New Zealand was probably here at The Hangar, where the cafe also offered decent brunch (which I didn’t think quite match up to its coffee, unfortunately). Located on the corner of Dixon and Willis Street, The Hangar is easily accessible and around 10 minutes’ walk from the famous Te Papa Museum. A friendly waitress greeted my family and I immediately after we entered the cafe, where it was crowded, lively, and bright. Customers can also purchase its merchandise on its website, including coffee, brewing equipment, and other gift ideas.
– General Review –
- Service: 7.7/10
Friendly staff and efficient service, although food took a while to be served.
- Servicescape: 8/10
The Hangar exuded a very casual and relaxing atmosphere, decorated warmly with plenty of wood elements. The cafe also had numerous tables to accommodate many guests at once, and can seat small to medium-sized groups comfortably. Even though it was crowded, the cafe was clean and the atmosphere was excellent for brunch.
- Non-smoking area: Seats are indoors and smoke-free.
- Vegetarian dishes: Several vegetarian options available.
- Price range: $$ (NZ$13 – $19 for most main dishes.)
Overall Rating: 7.6/10
– Food Experience –
- Mocha: Excellent taste, served with two marshmallows on the side, and also the best coffee I had in New Zealand thus far.
- Seared Salmon: The seared salmon was filleted and perfectly cooked at medium-rare as it promised, and the beetroot hummus, with a thick and uneven texture, was fresh and complemented the salad well.
- Steak, Egg & Chips: Even though I was a little disappointed with the dish – scotch fillet was a little tough and chips too salty for my liking – the herb chili butter was fantastic and fragrant.
- Harissa & Avocado: I was happy with the harissa, avocado, poached eggs, and overall portion, but the sourdough was too burnt and ridiculously hard to cut.
Contact number: +64 4 830 0909
Website: The Flight Coffee Hangar
Operating hours: Mon – Fri: 7am – 5pm
Sat – Sun: 8am – 5pm
Posted by: V