Before coming to Melbourne, I’ve rarely tried European food in my life. But one of the first restaurants I was introduced to when I got here was Stalactites, a Greek restaurant situated in the Greek Precinct in the CBD and across from QV. I’ve grown to love Greek food since then, and it has become one of the restaurants that I’d suggest eating at with my friends when we’re out of ideas as to where and what to eat. Its location is fantastic and beware of huge crowds. I recently went to Stalactites for dinner with some friends and there was a long queue outside, which usually happens during meal times, but we didn’t expect that for a Wednesday night too! Another thing, Stalactites is open 24/7 (good news for nocturnals!) and it also offers a large variety of dishes.
– General Review –
- Service: 7/10
The service in Stalactites is quite varied actually – sometimes the staff are friendly and others not too much. However, they’re usually quick to take your orders and serve your meal. Their service tends to get better when the restaurant isn’t too crowded since they’re not as overwhelmed. However, the waiting area indoors is small, so you’d have to stand outside once the queue gets long.
- Servicescape: 7.5/10
One of the things that struck me immediately and left an impression was it’s interior design. I find the decorations and restaurant design very unique – it looks like the interior of a white cave with rough texture and “icicle”-like things protruding from the ceiling (don’t worry their ceilings are high), very fitting for its name indeed. The wooden floors, tables and chairs makes the place feel cozy and warm though, balancing out the white and coldness of the walls and ceiling. The lights are also bright, especially on the first floor, and the atmosphere is usually peaceful until the restaurant’s peak hours (which restaurant doesn’t get loud when it’s crowded?). I think it’s a nice place for gatherings.
- Non-smoking area: Yes – Most of the seats are indoors with air conditioning for non-smoking area, while some are outdoors.
- Vegetarian dishes: Limited. There isn’t a lot of vegetarian main dishes available, although some of the vegetarian dishes there include Homemade Bean Soup (Fasolada) and the Vegetarian Souvlaki.
- Price range: $$ (AU$10 – $30 for most main dishes.)
Overall Rating: 7.8/10
– Food Experience –
1) Mixed Dips + Pita Bread: These are two separate items but I’d suggest you to get them both. The dips include tarama, melitzanosalata, tzatziki and hommus, with my personal favourites being the tarama and the hommus (pink and yellow ones). Spread them on the pita bread and they taste absolutely delicious.
2) Lamb Giro Platter: I’m not that big of a mutton fan but the lamb giro platter’s tasted pretty good. I could still detect the smell of the red meat though, but it went well with the dip-on-pita. There are two sizes available for this dish – small and large. Depending on your appetite, I would say the small is enough for two to three people if you’re not too hungry (including the dips and bread, of course)
3) Chicken Giro Platter: My favourite dish in Stalactites so far, since I always call for this particular dish along with the mixed dips and pita bread. They go extremely well together! The chicken meat was filleted and shredded, the meat is tender and fragrant, albeit a little oily. The Chicken Giro Platter + Mixed dips + Pita bread = Heavenly-ness. Like the Lamb Giro Platter, there are two sizes, small and large, available for this dish.
4) Kalamari Platter: The Kalamari Platter was decent because I thought it tasted like most other calamaris I’ve tried before. It’s also deep-fried so it smelled amazing, like most other oily and fatty foods are. (“What makes you fat makes you happy”, right?) The calamaris tasted pretty fresh though. Also available in small and large sizes.
5) Bowl of Chips: If you’re looking for thin and crispy chips/fries then you might be disappointed, but fat and potato-ey chips/fries-lovers rejoice! Again, available in small and large sizes.
Contact number: +61 3 9663 3316
Website: Stalactites Restaurant
Posted by: V